Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide and Its Uses
What is Hydrogen Peroxide?
It is a naturally occurring substance that is produced by the action of sunlight on water. A water-like liquid, it has many practical applications and occurs naturally in our bodies, plant life, animals and even found in honey. It is made of two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms (H2O2) and looks like water (H2O), but the extra oxygen molecule makes it one of the most potent oxidizers known. As a result, if used in precise proportions, it can heal and even stimulate life. If those proportions are off, and too much is used, its oxidizing effect is disastrous and deadly to living tissues.
Since hydrogen peroxide is a naturally occurring substance in nature, it breaks down naturally with no toxic residue to the environment. Known as a potent bleaching agent, it makes a great substitute for such caustic and toxic chemicals as chlorine, bleach, and ammonia.
Different Types of Hydrogen Peroxide
It is manufactured in different 1strengths and grades:
• 3.5% Pharmaceutical Grade: Used as a disinfectant and mouthwash. This grade is available at grocery stores and pharmacies. It contains stabilizers which are not edible, and should NOT be ingested.
• 6% Beautician Grade: Used to color hair. Not for internal use.
• 30% Reagent Grade: Used for scientific experiments and contains stabilizers. Not for internal use.
• 30% to 32% Electronic Grade: Used to clean electronic parts. Not for internal use.
• 35% Technical Grade: More concentrated than Reagent Grade. It has phosphorus added to neutralize chlorine usually contained in the water used to dilute it.
• 35% Food Grade: Used in the production of foods such as whey and egg products. It is also sprayed on the foil lining of fruit juice and milk product packages as a disinfectant. THIS IS THE ONLY GRADE RECOMMENDED FOR INTERNAL USE.
• 90%: Used as an oxygen source for rocket fuel.
Uses of Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
Antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-yeast makes this substance widely used with a variety of applications. However, it is also controversial with proponents and opponents regarding certain uses.
Standard uses acceptable to all include:
• Disinfectant for kitchen and bathroom surfaces, including refrigerator and dishwashers, stoves and utensils.
• Disinfect and treat drinking water, replacing chlorine and other harsh chemicals which have shown to be long-term cancer risks.
• Insecticide for gardening, which also oxygenates the soil. Spontaneous decomposition releases oxygen that enhances plant root development, thus avoiding root rot (cellular root death due to lack of oxygen).
• Kills mold and mildew.
• 2Disinfect pools, spas, hot tubs and foot baths, replacing the smelly and harmful effects of chlorine and bleach based treatments.
• An effective bleaching agent in hair, teeth and clothing. For clothing, it is an effective blood stain remover. It must be applied to the stained area before washing, and then use cold water and soap to remove the stain.
• To whiten laundry, and as an environmentally friendly substitute to chlorine bleach, pour one cup of 3% pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide into the washer before adding clothing.
• An effective agent in removing skunk odor when mixed with a small amount of baking soda and a little hand soap.
• Used in some instances to treat acne and other skin problems.
• Effective in rapidly stopping capillary bleeding (to slow the rate of blood oozing from small blood vessels) as well as disinfecting the wound.
• Small amounts can be used if a 3dog has swallowed a harmful substance such as rat poison, chocolate, etc., to induce vomiting.
• Use as a 4toothpaste by mixing correct quantities of baking soda and salt.
Dilution rates are provided in the diagram below:
Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide Must Be Diluted
The key to harnessing hydrogen peroxide as a tool is dependent on understanding how it will react in the circumstances that it is used. For example, 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide, used full strength on nearly anything would most likely be disastrous since its extremely powerful oxidative effects will destroy living tissues and organisms quickly. Therefore, to harness its power and use it effectively, one must become educated in how to dilute it properly for the uses intended. Pharmaceutical grade 3% hydrogen peroxide is usually all the strength anyone will need to accomplish the intended purpose. Most any strength beyond this makes its oxidative powers dangerous.
Other Possible Uses, Including Ingestion
These are uses which become controversial. While there is information throughout the internet and in books and health-related articles, the jury is out regarding the benefits of taking hydrogen peroxide internally. There are as many proponents of authority and anecdotal use as there are opponents who oppose it for seemingly valid reasons. However, it does stand to reason that if food grade hydrogen peroxide is taken internally, diluted properly and used responsibly as a medicinal aid, without long-term continuous use, it may benefit the user in the short term, and thus perhaps restore desired health. Opponents of internal use argue that long-term use could lead to oxidative effects (meaning tissue damage) which could be irreparable. Even continuous use as a mouthwash and hair bleach is not recommended.
Internal use of hydrogen peroxide includes:
• Treatment of common viruses such as cold and and most all strains of flu.
• Treatment of internal parasites and invasive organisms in the body
• Treatment of candida albicans (yeast infection)
• Use it in bathwater wherein the skin absorbs it and uses it in the body. Add 4 cups of food grade hydrogen peroxide to bath water yielding a safe 1% solution (assuming the tub holds about 45 gallons).
Additionally, there is quite a bit of information on the internet regarding food grade hydrogen peroxide for treating various forms of cancer, and even emphysema. However, the 6FDA has forced many of these sites to edit out much of their information to conform to government and medical standards and practices.
Suggested Protocol for Ingestion
Hydrogen peroxide is an extremely powerful substance and should only be handled by those who understand how it will react in the circumstance they intend to use it. Most forms of hydrogen peroxide are 3% pharmaceutical grade solutions, available at most grocery stores and pharmacies. This form must not be swallowed, but can be used for a variety of cleaning, disinfecting and household uses.
Those who wish to use 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide usually do so because they use it for a wide variety of purposes, and use if frequently and are familiar with how it works under a variety of conditions. The purpose of this article is to make the consumer aware of both the environmental friendly applications that hydrogen peroxide has, as well as provide information for how to safely use it, and to assess both standard and nonstandard uses for themselves.
There are other antimicrobial/antiviral natural alternatives such as colloidal silver and oregano oil. This isn't a complete list, but these are good resources when they are needed.