Good Ideas for Battling the Cold Virus
Fighting the Common Cold
Palliative measures that seem to help in fighting cold viruses the most are some of the following:
- Rest! Your body needs to recover and getting extra sleep and resting will help this process. Take some days off from work to help yourself and prevent the spread of disease to your co-workers.
Fighting the cold virus
- Humidify the air you breathe. Viruses thrive in dry environments.
Inhale some steam by using a bowl of hot water and placing a towel over your head so that you can get the full benefits of that humid air into the mucous membranes of your nose and mouth. Some people add a few drops of eucalyptus oil into the bowl of steaming water for added effect.
There are humidifiers that can be purchased for just such a purpose.
Alternately enjoy a steamy shower and stay in the shower stall inhaling that soothing steam for a while. That should alleviate some congestion.
I have found the use of room humidifiers to be of great value when the air is dry and when fighting off maladies like the cold or flu. It is easier to breathe in the humidified air.
- Gargle often to treat sore throats.
A half teaspoon of salt in an 8 oz. glass of warm water is a good natural antiseptic remedy. This can be done often throughout the day.
Drinking fluids like hot tea with honey and lemon in it can also help ease painful throats.
- Enjoy warm and hot liquids throughout the day.
Yes…that old fashioned remedy that you have undoubtedly heard of from many people (perhaps even your mother or grandmother)…chicken soup…is truly good for you.
The extra fluid is important and it as well as other hot liquids will help relieve nasal congestion and loosen phlegm while soothing membranes which are irritated by coughing.
I have used a Neti Pot with great success. As a matter of fact in my case it works to clear a sinus infection as fast or even faster than the antibiotics I used to use. I like the idea of using the salt water in place of antibiotics.
- Using hot or cold packs around your sinuses seems to help.
Did you know that you can use a package of frozen veggies wrapped in a towel for an instant cold pack?
After the vegetables are thawed they can always later be made into more warming and healthful soups!
- Use a Neti Pot for help in clearing out sinuses.
That warmed salt water that helps to irrigate nasal passages really helps!
- Use extra pillows under your head at night if you are having difficulty sleeping due to congestion.
It will make it a bit easier to breathe.
- In addition to the measures taken above be sure and wash your hands frequently! This should be a good health habit in any case, but if not...this is the time to start.
- Use a tissue to cover your nose and mouth when coughing and if that is unavailable cough into your elbow. Normally you will not be touching other things with the inside of your elbow and infecting others.
- Try and avoid flying on airplanes when you have a cold virus. That is not only good for the surrounding passengers in that enclosed space who would be exposed to your illness but the altitude changes can cause increased pressure in your eardrums which can result in pain and in worst case scenarios even cause a rupture leading to hearing loss. Be safe rather than sorry!
I hope that if you come down with the dreaded cold virus, these useful tips will be of value to you or in helping others you know.
- Important! Be sure and read about Reye's Syndrome if your child catches a cold or other malady. Avoid using aspirin to bring down fevers in children.
What do you most often do when fighting off a cold virus?
Here are some videos that you might find of interest.
The first comes from a doctor who calls himself a functional medicine nutritionist. He claims that he can drastically limit the duration of a cold if one follows his advice.
How to Cure a Cold Fast
For those who already have symptoms, Dr. Joseph Mercola offers an inexpensive treatment idea. I had never heard of it before, but apparently it really helps according to anecdotal evidence from many people who have tried it. Take a look here:
Using Hydrogen Peroxide to treat a cold..
There are many ideas from different sources as to how best to manage and treat cold symptoms. This last video suggests healthful foods to eat when feeling ill. This makes good sense to me!
5 Foods to Eat when Sick
In no way is this information intended to take the place of your doctor's advice. This health information offered above is simply a starting point for consideration and discussion with your medical professional.
© 2016 Peggy Woods