How and When to Use Castor Oil for Hair Growth
Hair loss may be one of the most common hair issues. New styling techniques with chemicals and heat are bad for hair, weakening it and increasing the chance of advanced hair loss.
There are a number of things we can do to strengthen our hair, but personally, I feel more comfortable with natural treatments like oil.
There are several oils that you can use for hair growth and hair strength but I will talk about castor oil today because it has been used as a hair treatment for centuries. It contains numerous minerals and fatty acids.
Here is when you should use castor oil for your hair:
- When you see hair falling out at a quicker rate than normal.
- When you see split ends.
- When your scalp is dry.
- When you just want healthier hair.
How to Use Castor Oil as a Hair Treatment
1. Wash hair.
2. Warm the oil on the stove or microwave.
3. Massage oil through hair and on scalp.
4. Cover hair.
5. Wash out.
Step-by-Step Hair Oil Treatment
- Wash your hair Some stylists suggest applying warm oil to the hair before shampooing, but I don’t recommend this. Wash your hair to ensure that it is clean before you apply any oil to it.
- Warm the oil Pour castor oil into a pot or bowl. If desired, add olive or coconut oil. Gently warm on stove or microwave. Alternately, place bowl in a tub of hot water. In either case, ensure that oil doesn’t get too hot.
- Massage If your hair is completely dry, spray to moisten. It is better to divide hair into sections. Apply oil to one section at a time and massage gently. Castor oil needs a little time to absorb, so massage continuously until you can feel that oil has soaked in.
- Scalp massage Hair massage isn’t enough. You need to massage your scalp too. Take some castor oil and massage scalp gently with your fingertips in a circular motion. Make sure that all the oil is absorbed into the scalp.
- Cover hair After massaging hair and scalp, cover your head with a shower cap for at least one hour. Allow oil to completely absorb into the scalp.
- Wash your hair Finally, wash your hair. Make sure to remove all of the oil, shampooing twice or three times if needed.
You might not notice results immediately after washing. For best results, follow these steps twice a week. You will see positive changes within a month or so.