Chyawanprash: Benefits, Uses, Ingredients, and Side Effects
All About Chyawanprash
Want to learn about chyawanprash? You've come to the right place. It's a commonly used herbal tonic in India, for general health wellness, prepared using an ancient Ayurvedic formula. This Ayurvedic preparation uses herbs that are considered to contain potent, immunity-boosting, and energizing qualities. Chyawanprash is believed to both promote longevity and act as an anti-aging tonic.
In this article, learn about what exactly chyawanprash is, and its:
- Health benefits
- Side effects
Ayuvedic medicine, or Ayurveda, is a type of alternative medicine in the form of holistic healing. It's an old Indian or Hindu medicine that includes common practices derived from the Atharvaveda, which contains over a hundred hymns and incantations considered by many to be magical cures for diseases. Modern practices of Ayurveda include herbal remedies, oils, and certain surgical processes, among others.
What is Chyawanprash?
As mentioned, chyawanprash is an herbal tonic commonly used in India.
- Other names. Chyawanprash can also be referred to as chyavanaprasha, chyavanaprasam, or chyawanprash rasayana. (The word "rasayana" means tonic.)
- The concoction. The mixture itself looks like a dark brown jam. It's made using potent Ayurvedic herbs (like cardamom, cinnamon, or saffron to name a few). The concoction is brown, sticky, and tastes sweet, sour, and spicy.
- Origins of the word. "Chyawanprash" is named after Rishi, or a sage by the name of Chyawan, who was the first person to prepare this tonic. The story starts off with the sage, who was quite old in the beginning. Then, however, he regained his youthfulness and vitality with the use of this herbal tonic.
- Charak Samhita. Charak Samhita is an ancient Ayurvedic book written by Charak in the 4th century B.C. that includes the formula for this herbal preparation. In it, it claims that chyawanprash is the best and most effective of all herbal tonics available to mankind.
- Popular brands. While you can easily make it at home, Dabur, Himalaya, and Zandu are some of the most popular chyawanprash brands sold in India and worldwide. Organic India also offers this preparation for the Western world.
This potent herbal tonic contains:
- Amla, otherwise known as Indian gooseberry, which is the main ingredient. (Every 100g of this product contains 15,000 mg of amla.)
- A mixture of Ayurvedic herbs, which include powerful herbs that are known for their health benefits. This list includes: ashwagandha, vidarikand or pueraria, long pepper, white sandalwood, cardamom, tulsi, brahmi, arjun, jatamansi, neem and many others.
- Honey and clarified butter, which are mixed with the herb. In the end, it retains the consistency of a jam, which is why it's often referred to as a fruity jam with honey in it.
Chyawanprash is safe for both the elderly and young children to take. It comes with many health benefits, which include the following:
- Improves one's immune system. The combination of over forty herbs makes chyawanprash a powerful immunity boosting tonic. Amla or gooseberry, the main ingredient, contains 30 times more vitamin C than oranges. This is one of the main reasons why chyawanprash is such a powerful immune-booster. It protects the body from bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
- Healthy respiratory system. It promotes a healthy respiratory system, being especially beneficial for the healthy functioning of the lungs. This makes it an ideal and healthy herbal remedy for those with asthma and chronic bronchitis.
- Great for digestion. This tonic does a great job at balancing stomach acids. It promotes the digestion of food and the absorption of nutrients into the blood. It also provides relief in constipation, reduces flatulence, and relieves nausea and diarrhea.
- Benefits for your heart. This herbal tonic also promotes the healthy functioning of the heart. It is a powerful energizer for the brain and helps enhance concentration and memory.
- Anti-aging features. It's also an anti-aging herbal tonic that can prevent wrinkles and graying of hair. Its potent antioxidant and rejuvenating herbs delays the aging of cells, provides proper nutrition, and promotes youthfulness and longevity.
- Many other benefits. Chyawanprash also helps purify blood, stimulate the liver, and promote the elimination of toxins from the body.
Besides the above health benefits, chyawanprash also:
- Enhances sexual potency and pleasure, keeps all the sensory organs healthy.
- Improves one's complexion and strengthens hair.
- Is used by bodybuilders for building muscles.
Do you take Chyawanprash?See results without voting
How to Use Chyawanprash
- One teaspoon should be taken twice a day — once in the morning and then again at night.
- The sticky jam can be taken directly or it's often mixed with warm milk or water.
- Others enjoy taking this herbal tonic by spreading it on a cracker or bread, as well.
- Weight gain unlikely. Many people are often concerned that taking this too often will lead to weight gain, because of the clarified butter contained in the mix. However, the ghee, or clarified butter, isn't the main ingredient and very little actually goes into it — it's there merely to ensure a proper mixing of the ingredients.
- Burning sensations. Some people complain about a burning sensation in their stomach after consuming this herbal tonic, likely due to the strong herbs that go into the mix. You may experience this, and if so, drinking some warm (not hot) milk after taking chyawanprash will help soothe that. To avoid this, you can also start with half a teaspoon of the mix instead, take milk, and then over time, increase the amount to one teaspoon once your system gets used to it.
Chyawanprash is a overall a safe herbal tonic. People of all ages can take it safely for their health. In fact, children as young as three years old can take it. However, make sure to reduce the dosage for young children.
Make Chyawanprash an Integral Part of Your Health Care Routine
As you can now see, chywanprash can help promote many health benefits and it is safe to use for people of all ages. However, please note that it is advisable to consult a physician if you are on regular medication or have any chronic disease. Also, if you plan on incorporating it into the daily routine of your children, make sure you consult with their pediatrician first.
Also, to optimize results, you should look into introducing healthy lifestyle (a work out regime and eating a healthy and balanced diet in general) in order to get the most you can out of the chyawanprash.
Lastly, with all other articles of this nature, the contents provided here was for informational purposes only. It's not meant to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. Please make sure you consult your health care provider before making any decisions or for guidance about a specific medical conditions.
Thanks for reading, and here's to your health!
© 2013 BetterAlive
More by this Author
Triphala churna is considered to be a solution for all diseases. Find out more about what it contains, its health benefits, and how you can use it.