Natural Lice Treatment That Works in One Application
Head lice. Ugh. Disgusting, ugly little freeloaders. What an awful thing - bugs in your hair! Gross. To me, the only thing worse than these foul little things is the idea that I have to put chemical pesticide on my children's hair to kill the nasty parasites. That always bothered me. I have tried many, many natural remedies: mayonnaise, honey, oil... none ever worked as well as the chemical pesticides. That's not saying much, because they usually have to be used more than once. They are also expensive, especially if you have a large family to treat.
However, a few years ago I came across a natural remedy that not only works, it works to kill eggs and adults in one shot. I know, because I used it. We had a very bad case of lice from school (where else, right?) and treated it numerous times with chemical pesticides and natural remedies. Nothing worked. We could not get rid of it. It was like the lice were immune to everything. They were like superlice.
So what do you do when head lice won't go away? You research. But in researching desperately, I found a remedy for head lice that worked and I will never use anything else. (I also found that many others have encountered the superlice in recent years. Maybe head lice are becoming immune to treatments.)
What you need:
Steps to get rid of lice:
- Mix between 20 and 30 drops of oregano essential oil into the cup of olive oil and put it on your hair.
- Cover all of the hair and comb through very thoroughly.
- Leave on about an hour, then shower and wash it out.
- Do not get the oil in your eyes!
- I also added 10-15 drops of oregano oil to the shampoo and conditioner I used to wash the olive oil mixture out; I put it in little travel bottles and mixed it but this is optional.
- Use a nit comb when you are done to comb those nasty buggers out of your hair. You will see they are all dead. Oregano oil apparently penetrates the egg sacs and kills these as well, because they never came back.
This treatment does not damage your hair and it will kill the lice. You should not need to do it again but if you do, just repeat the same treatment. This worked on the superlice my family had and it worked for everybody in just one application. If you have persistent head lice, give this a shot. Oregano oil is cheaper than chemical pesticide and a little goes a very long way. I've had the same 1 oz bottle of it for more than 5 years. (It's excellent for tooth pain and lots of other things.)
Note: This is just for treating your hair. You should still wash all the bedding, bag up clothes and all the other things you usually do for head lice infestation.
So what's the outcome? Fantastic, shiny bug-free hair. Olive oil works like a nurturing hair mask, on top of killing those rotten little bugs. It's non-damaging, safe, and effective. Just a few words of common sense caution:
- Don't get the oregano oil in your eyes. Wash your hands after applying the treatment to your hair and don't rub your eyes.
- Don't apply the oregano oil without the olive oil. It's too strong to use "neat" (undiluted) on the skin or scalp.
- Don't leave the oregano oil on unprotected skin, like the face. If it drips onto your face, wipe it off with a damp rag. It's very strong and can cause a burn on sensitive people.
- Don't leave the treatment on much longer than an hour.
That's it! Hopefully, people who are going through the nightmare of the unkillable superlice find this information and it helps them as much as it helped my family. I couldn't even locate the blog I first found this head lice remedy on, years ago. That's why I decided to write this. It works so well and more people need to know about it.
Do you have any natural remedies for head lice that you swear by? Let us know in the comments below!
No comments yet.