Foods to Avoid With Diabetes
No-No foods during diabetes
A balanced meal plan is important for everyone. If you have diabetes, eating properly balanced meals and snacks is even more important. Food is an important tool that you can use to control diabetes and stay healthy. It is always advisable to avoid some foods if you are diabetic such as refined sugar, jam, molasses, fruit sugar, pastries, soft drinks, cream and fried foods. White sugar and white flour should be reduced drastically. Fats like butter and hydrogenated vegetable oils should also be avoided. Avoid soft drinks since these have a lot of sugar.
This hub lists some commonly known foods to avoid with diabetes. Read on and share your thoughts in the comments section.
Eating a balanced meal plan can help you:
- Control blood sugar levels
- Control blood pressure
- Control cholesterol levels
- Reduce the risk of health problems caused by diabetes.
List of foods to avoid with diabetes:
1. Sugar: White sugar, honey, jaggery, cake, jelly, jam, icecream, pastries, canned juice, chocolates, pie, syrup, doughnuts, artificial sweeteners, cream and cookies foods should be avoided with diabetes.
2. Fried foods: Don't fry foods instead bake, sauté or boil in a pan. Otherwise you can steam vegetables.
3. Read labels: Soy sauce, MSG, brine contains a lot of sodium. Always try to limit your sodium content.
4. Salad dressings: Limit the use of dressings such as mustard, salad dressing, mayonnaise and avocado. They are high in sodium.
5. Cheeses: Try to limit the use of cream cheese, butter, cottage cheese and margarine.
6. Refined flours: Another important food to avoid with diabetes is refined flours. Avoid pasta, white bread, all purpose flour (maida), pretzels, puffs, pizza and processed foods.
7. Fruits: Fruits such as mango, grapes, custard apple, strawberry and prunes (dates) should be avoided to lower the blood sugar level.
8. Starchy vegetables: Avoid starchy vegetables such as potatoes, parsnips, squash, and go easy with carrots, beans, peas and beet.
9. Fruit juices: Limit the use of fruit juices. They are high in carbs than fresh fruit. If you like fruit juices as a drink, then take 1 part of fruit juice with 3-4 parts of water.
10. Smoking and alcohol should be avoided with diabetes.
11. Cut back on foods that are high in cholesterol such as egg yolks, high-fat meat, poultry, and high-fat dairy products.
12. Oils: Avoid hydrogenated oils or partially hydrogenated oils. You can use canola or olive oil which is good for diabetes.
13. Other foods: Olives, bacon, yam, dried fruits, junk foods and nuts (peanuts) should be avoided with diabetes. You can have some nuts rich in mono unsaturated fat such as almonds, pecans and walnuts.
More by this Author
Gastroparesis Gastroparesis also called delayed stomach emptying is a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents. It occurs when the vagus nerve is damaged and the muscles of the stomach and...
Gastroparesis Gastroparesis means paralysis of the muscles of the stomach. It results in delayed emptying of food from the stomach into the small intestine. Sometimes this may lead to undigested food hardening into...
Wondering what you can and can't eat if you have H. Pylori? Read on for a list of foods to avoid and foods you should make a point to eat.