How to Get Rid of a Migraine the Holistic Way
What Helps Migraines Go Away Fast?
Ever wondered how to get rid of a migraine fast and easy? If so, then you are not the only one! It is a very common neurological condition, reportedly affecting more than 38 million people in the United States.
While no exact cure for migraines has been discovered yet, there are some effective treatment options that help eliminate the symptoms and manage your condition.
Here are many effective migraine relief options that may be useful for you:
#1 Drink a Cup of Hot Black Coffee
Enjoying a cup of hot black coffee may help ease inflammation and bring relief from a painful migraine attack. It can also help boost the pain-killing effects of paracetamol.
Note: Since caffeine stimulates water loss and urination, use it in moderation. Also, never go any higher than 3 cups a day! Too much caffeine makes matters worse.
#2 Find a Dark, Quiet Room
When you feel a migraine coming on, try to find a calm environment. Sit down, relax, and then close your eyes until the painful symptoms subside. While relaxing, you can also enjoy your favorite calming herbal tea or listen to the calming music.
#3 Do a Self-Massage
One randomized controlled trial published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine had confirmed that migraineurs who had six weekly massage sessions had less migraine symptoms. In addition, a massage therapy can also help the migraineurs sleep better at night.
This video below will guide you how to get rid of a migraine pain with a self-massage.
#4 Try Practicing a Mindfulness Meditation
A pilot randomized controlled trial published in the Journal Headache concluded that the standardized 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course had a beneficial effect on the migraine duration, disability, self-efficacy, and mindfulness.
You can do a meditation for about 30 minutes a day to eliminate your migraine pain.
#5 Applying an Ice Pack
More than 75 percent of migraineurs, according to a positive study published in 2006, found that applying an ice pack (or cold therapy) during an episode of migraines was better at easing a throbbing headache symptom than not having the treatment at all.
What to do?
- Place an ice pack on your temples, forehead, and back of your neck.
- Do this therapy for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy as needed.
- Note: You can use a frozen vegetable bag if you don’t have an ice pack.
#5 Do Yoga
A comprehensive research published in 2014 in the International Journal of Yoga had confirmed that yoga reduced the frequency and intensity of migraine attacks.
Below is a video that will guide you how to get rid of a migraine with yoga.
Keep in Mind, Please
Make sure to consult with your doctor or specialist before starting any exercise program, especially if you have certain medical conditions or physical limitations.
#6 Give Cayenne Pepper a Try
Capsaicin, the active substance found in peppers, help eliminate platelet aggregation factor (PAF). The PAF constricts blood circulation in the head, thus contributing to the onset of migraine attacks and other headache types.
How to use cayenne pepper for natural migraine relief?
- Dilute a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 250 ml of hot water.
- Let it cool and then sip until your migraine pain subsides.
- A warning word: Avoid use if you are allergic to cayenne pepper or you have digestive problems.
#7 Drink Feverfew Tea
A systematic review published in 2011 in the Pharmacognosy Review concluded that the active components in feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), known as parthenolides, inhibited the release of serotonin, therefore reducing a throbbing migraine pain.
How to use feverfew for eliminating a migraine pain?
- Use 50 mg of dried leaves per cup of boiling water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey for better taste.
- A warning word: Avoid use if you are allergic to ragweed or currently pregnant.
#8 Enjoy Chamomile Tea
If your migraine attacks get worse due to stress or insomnia (inability to sleep well at night), try to drink a cup of chamomile tea (Matricaria recutita) throughout the day.
How to use chamomile tea for alternative migraine relief?
- Use two teaspoons of dried flowers per cup of boiling water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey for greater healing effects.
- A warning word: Avoid use if you are allergic to ragweed family, are currently pregnant or breastfeeding, and are taking blood-thinning medicines, birth control pills, or cholesterol lowering medicines.
#9 Take Butterbur Supplements
The extracts of butterbur (Petasites hybridus) reportedly ease inflammation and pain. The active compounds in butterbur work by retarding Cyclooxygenase-2 (or COX-2) activity in your body.
The suggested dose ranges from 50 – 100 mg twice daily.
Note: If you would like to give butterbur a try, make sure to pick products labeled with Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids-Free (PA-Free).
How do you get rid of migraines?
#10 Apply Essential Oils
Applying particular essential oils topically is not only to help you relax, but also reduce stress and tension.
Top three popular oils that may ease your migraine pain include:
- Peppermint (Mentha x Piperita).
- Lavender (Lavendula).
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus).
Mix 2 to 4 drops of the oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil or water, and then use this mixture to massage your temples and the back of your neck.
Simply use the oil to massage the temples and back of your neck, or mix 4 or 5 drops of lavender essential oil with two cups of boiling water and then inhale the vapor.
Simply massage the oil to your forehead. Another best way is to add 4 drops of it into a bowl of boiling water and then inhale the vapor.
A Warning Word
Never ingest any essential oil as it can be toxic!
#11 Take OTC Painkilling Medicines
Taking painkillers is a 'primadonna' option of treatment for migraines. The painkillers can provide temporary relief from a throbbing migraine headache.
Several available commercial painkilling medicines you can take include:
- Paracetamol (acetaminophen).
Note: If all the painkillers above did not help, your doctors might prescribe stronger medicines, such as triptans, antiemetics, ergots, opioids, etc.
How to Get Rid of a Migraine - The Holistic Way
OTC Painkillers (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, and Aspirin).
If all the OTC medicines didn't work, stronger medicines are available.
Drink a cup of hot black coffee, find a dark room, do a self-massage, practicing meditation or yoga, and applying an ice pack..
Make sure to consult with a doctor before starting any exercise program.
Cayenne pepper, feverfew, chamomile, and butterbur.
Avoid use if you are allergic to the remedies, are currently pregnant or breastfeeding, and are taking particular medicines.
Peppermint, lavender, and eucayptus.
Never ingest any essential oil as the oil can be toxic.
How to Prevent Migraines?
Here are many suggestions that may be useful for you:
- Avoid all possible triggers. List potential triggers that may cause or make your migraine pain worse, and then try to avoid them as much as possible.
- Avoid stress. Some study found that stress plays a role in triggering a migraine. So, try to keep your stress under control. You can listen to your favorite music or do some light exercises, yoga, meditation, and other stress relieving exercises.
- Drink more water or fluids. Dehydration serves as a migraine trigger for some people. To avoid this condition, try increasing your water intake by drinking more water or fluids at least 6 - 8 glasses a day. Also, avoid alcohol, highly-caffeinated beverages, and soft drinks.
© 2017 MT Ghozali