The Culprit Behind the Infamous Beer Farts
I decided to swing by a local bar with a friend of mine for a drink (or two) before going to work one day. I drank a 24oz. Killians draft and it was sooooo good. Afterwards I headed to work to catch a quick nap before my shift started. After I woke up my poor bowels kicked into high gear. How in the world do you get beer farts from drinking 24 ounces of beer? It's was a really good thing I was the only one in the office at that moment, that's all I have to say!
After wondering why I was so full of gas (yes gas and nothing else thank you), I decided to head over to Google to try to find the answer. Not only did I find an answer, I also found some interesting facts that I was unaware of. Please, allow me to share what I found…
"Flatulence-producing foods are typically high in certain polysaccharides and include beans, lentils, milk, onions, radishes, sweet potatoes, cheese, cashews, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, yeast in breads, and other vegetables." (Wikipedia)
Ok folks, now we need to take a look at the ingredients of beer: water, hops, malt (barley), and yeast. So it looks like barley and yeast are the culprits here. So there we have it, the rationale behind beer farts. Here are some other facts I found to be interesting (and scary)...
- People fart on average 14 times a day
- People who hold farts during the day tend to fart in their sleep (sorry honey)
- You can cause yourself to become constipated if you hold gas in too long
- There's a company called 'Fartypants' that makes underwear designed to absorb the smell of farts
- Only 1/3 of the population produces methane, so not all farts contain it
- Farts burn with a blue or yellow flame (a blue flame is indicative of methane)
- Because so few people produce methane, a group called the 'Royale Order of the Blue Flame' has been established (I'm wondering if each member had to light a fart during the application process as proof that they are methane producers)
- Dogs LOVE the smell of farts much like we love the smell of cooking bacon. Sometimes a dog will stick his nose in the butt of the farter to take in as much of the odor as possible. Hmmm, lesson learned...don't fart around dogs!
- Termites fart more than any other living creature
- Scientists have found fossilized farts! Termites' digestive tracts still work even after they become trapped in tree sap and die so as they fart (yes, even in death), air bubbles form in the sap.
- You cannot get stoned from inhaling farts
- Men sometimes peter fart after having a urinary catheter
- Men usually fart a lot first thing in the morning (is this true? I asked a couple guys and they both said they fart all the time and there is no time of day when they fart more than others)
Ok, I think that's enough fart facts for the day. I'm getting bored with the subject. Did you learn anything? I did! And just so you know, my beer farts are gone now, lmao :D