How to Treat and Prevent Mouth Ulcers
WHAT ARE MOUTH ULCERS?
Mouth ulcers (stomatitis) are small erosions in the lining of the oral cavity or the tongue. They tend to be recurrent. They usually disappear in about 7-10 days but can cause a lot of discomfort in the interim. Mouth ulcers are sometimes also called aphthous ulcers, canker sores, or oral ulcers. They are a relatively common problem, and there are many potential causes. The pain is unbearable. One cannot speak, eat, or drink properly.
CAUSES OF MOUTH ULCERS:
- Emotional stress.
- Local trauma in the form of ill-fitting dentures or a sharp tooth.
- Allergy to local applications like toothpaste.
- Vitamin deficiency, especially B-complex, folic acid.
- In females, sometimes in association with the menstrual cycle.
- Hereditary and familial tendencies are also seen.
- Poor oral hygiene such as not brushing teeth regularly.
- Spicy food.
- Drugs like antibiotics.
- Low immunity in any illness from TB to AIDS.
- Infectious origin like some bacteria or virus.
- Tartar in tooth surface.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MOUTH ULCERS:
- Tiny shallow erosions in the lining of the mouth or on the tongue.
- The base may be white or grey in colour.
- Increased salivation.
- Pain, burning sensation especially on contact with food or water.
- There may be bleeding from the ulcers.
- Mild fever if infection is the cause.
- Bad odour from the mouth.
HOW TO PREVENT MOUTH ULCERS:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Brush teeth at least twice a day.
- Do not brush too vigorously and use a soft toothbrush.
- Clean the tongue regularly but not harshly. Use toothpaste, mouthwash which suits you, and if you feel you are getting the problem due to it, change it. You may be allergic to it.
- Visit your dentist if you have a sharp tooth or a denture, which does not fit well.
- Avoid mental stress. Learn to relax and deal with stress.
- Avoid spicy hot food, alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid self-medication with antibiotics.
- Vitamin B complex and folic acid supplement will help.
- Have a diet rich in green leafy vegetables and cereals.
- You can use a cool mouthwash for temporary relief of pain.
- Consult your doctor if the ulcers bleed a lot.
My grandmother's home remedy for a mild-to-moderate mouth ulcer:
My grandmother told me about this remedy which I am sharing with you.
Take two teaspoonful of honey. Gargle it for a while, then swallow or spit out (diabetic patients are not allowed to swallow honey). Do it twice a day for two to three days, and the ulcer will be cured.
Even though mouth ulcers are gastric in origin, the above remedy will help you treat the symptoms.
My grandmother is not here with us anymore, but she told me one more thing to do. She told me to keep on drinking water again and again so that my mouth would not be dry for a single second. I tried this, and it helped a lot. You can also try this out. Keep a glass of water always with you, and drink water every 5-10 minutes. I am not saying that you have to drink a full glass after every 5-10 minutes, just a sip.
Try both of these remedies, and let me know the results in the comments section below.
Finally, I would say that for more severe conditions, you should consult your family doctor or a good ENT specialist in your area.
Cold sore cures and home remedies for mouth ulcers
Resources from the web on treatment and prevention of mouth ulcers
- Treatment and Prevention of Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers. Ouch. Just saying the phrase can make your mouth hurt. Most people have experienced the pain of mouth ulcers at some point in their lives. That's due in part to the fact that there are so many...
- Mouth Ulcers Causes, Prevention & Treatment
Read about Causes for Mouth Ulcers and Treatment. Also know about the Prevention for Mouth Ulcers