How to Get Your Body in an Alkaline State by Avoiding Acidic Foods
Why did I start testing my pH?
One of the many things I discovered during my quest to build a bionic immune system is that cancer flourishes in an acidic environment. Studies have shown that in a pH slightly above 7.4, cancer cells become dormant - and at a pH of 8.5 cancer cells will die while healthy cells will live. Maintaining the proper pH balance is also vital to preventing many other diseases and for general health. Also, people state that they feel physically and mentally better when their body is more alkaline. After dealing with ovarian cancer and getting through chemotherapy, I added maintaining the pH balance of my body to my list of healthy goals, and became determined to keep my body alkaline at all times.
Human blood must remain in a very narrow pH range (7.35-7.45) under all circumstances. If the pH ever varies from this range, cells stop functioning to the point of causing coma and death. Fortunately the body has mechanisms in place that keep the pH in this safe range. One such mechanism is to extract alkaline minerals such as sodium, potassium, zinc, iron, and calcium from tissues, organs, bones, ligaments, and muscles. This keeps the blood pH stable but is not good for general health since the levels of these vital minerals can be lowered to an unhealthy degree. Moreover, when the body tissue becomes even somewhat acidic within the allowed range it creates a burden on the liver, kidneys, and heart and therefore stresses every cell in the body. Acid-forming foods and stress create an acid residue in the tissues and organs that builds up over time and result in what people refer to as having an acidic body. Such a condition is a breeding ground for bacteria, viruses, and cancer. Fortunately there are many ways to completely reverse this problem, but only if you are aware of it. Thus it is important to test your body for excess acidity.
Dangers of pH Imbalance in the Body
As mentioned above, the risks of having an acidic pH are numerous:
- The body is unable to properly absorb vitamins,minerals, and supplements
- Cardiovascular problems can result.
- Causes immune deficiency.
- Stressed liver function.
- Low energy.
- Tumor growth.
- Yeast fungal/overgrowth.
- Can contribute to rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, lupus, tuberculosis, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure.
- Lowers body's ability to repair damaged cells.
- Speeds up the aging process and makes a person look and feel older
How Do you Test the pH Balance in Your Body?
The pH scale ranges from 0 (highest acidic) to 14 (highest alkaline). A pH of 7 is considered neutral. The goal is to reach a reading higher than 7. The easiest way to test the PH is with a urine or saliva test that can be purchased at most pharmacies or health food stores. When using the saliva test make sure you don't eat or brush your teeth 30 minutes prior to the test, and make sure to swallow a few times before testing. The urine test is generally lower in the morning and gets higher in the evening so try to test twice a day. Read the instructions and match the results to the chart on the container. Be aware that the results can change throughout the day for any test, so measure it once in the morning and once in the evening and look for an overall trend.
How Do you Create a Perfect pH?
If you found the results from the urine test or saliva test were not optimal, the good news is that you can completely alter your body's pH by making a few simple changes.
- Eliminate acidic beverages such as soda, alcohol, coffee, processed fruit drinks, and energy drinks.
- Eat foods that are alkaline forming. It is of no surprise that this requires a diet with a heavy concentration of fruits and vegetables and little or no processed foods. Examples of alkaline forming foods are raw spinach, figs, mangoes, and almonds. Some examples of acidic forming foods are alcohol, caffeine, poultry, pasta, and cranberries. Here is a comprehensive list of foods to eat and foods to avoid.
- Reduce stress. The hormones from stress can result in acid reactions in the body. Therefore,reducing stress is vital even if simply by taking ten deep breaths on a daily basis.
- Reduce toxic overload by changing your cosmetics and personal care products. Toxins create acidic reactions in the body so use personal care products and cosmetics that don't contain toxins. They are a challenge to find but are out there.
The goal is to eat a diet that is mostly alkaline so you have to be realistic but not perfect. Many people try to eat 80% alkaline. I use cranberry juice in my green smoothie and eat chick peas which are both acid forming but the rest of my diet is mostly alkaline. My urine consistently tests as very alkaline according to the chart (dark blue for my strips). How alkaline is your body? It takes only a few minutes to find out. Cheers to good health!!
More by this Author
When I went through chemotherapy, I had to figure out some critical things for myself, through research as well as trial and error. Here are the top 10 things I wish somebody had told me about before I started.